BooksForKidsBlog

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Extra-ordinary! We're All Wonders by R. J. Palacio

I know I'm not an ordinary kid.

Augie Pullman has never been ordinary. Born with a cranial malformation, even as a preschooler he couldn't help noticing the looks of fear, aversion, and even horror he got from strangers.

So when Augie learns about astronauts, he asks for a space helmet that hides most of his face and wears it everywhere he goes. At least it gives him a chance to play outside--even if he plays alone, except for his loyal dog Daisy.

Sure, I do ordinary things. I ride a bike. I eat ice cream.

I just don't look ordinary.

It hurts to be so different that others either turn away or stare at him with revulsion. Augie's parents try to explain and try to help him understand that inside he is good and smart and talented. And Daisy loves him unconditionally.

My mom says I'm a wonder.

The story of Augie Pullman, told so movingly in R. J. Palaccio's best-selling children's novel, Wonder (see review here) as well as in the recent hit movie, "Wonder," is available with a picture book format for young readers here in We're All Wonders! (Alfred A. Knopf, 2017) With the theme, "Choose Kind," this one has a message for all of us.

I can't change the way I look.

But maybe... people can change the way they see.

Look with kindness and you'll always find wonder.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:08 AM  

Post a Comment



<< Home